It is currently 25 Sep 2018 12:42

All times are UTC

Who needs a new Computer anyway?
« ß☻☺M » 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Not « ß☻☺M » 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Purple coz he (claims) he's still lagging and its not the server 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
┌П┐(•_-)┌П┐ 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Dazman Obviously 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Mamba 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
JJ 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Bob 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Folk who play on shitty overheating laptops 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Total votes: 10
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2017 15:11 
(>Nutter<)

Quote:
very nice! :) what gpu?
Zotac gtx1080 amp extreme.

Untill you can no longer hold a glass without spilling. This is the quaffing hysteresis point where the beer intake is reduced to match the alcohol handling capacity of the imbibing entity.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017 22:18 
(>Nutter<)

Lol.
My Crosshair VI Hero board bricked itself. I got that sinking feeling....... You know the one. Push the button and you are met with a deafening silence..... that sinking feeling....
RMAd.
Other components running fine on spare cheapo AM4 baby board.
All early C6H mobo bios had bug that randomly did a "bios update" on boot that kills an embedded controller on the mobo that deals with power during start.====> Start button had no effect. SOC voltage ranged to high when left on Auto. So if I had been "playing dangerous" manually fucking about with voltages in the bios it would have been fine.
Probably fixable if you have a spare controller chip and can reflow the solder but I dont have one of course.
"Playing safe and just leave everything on auto" led to the board bricking. Sort of makes me chuckle.
ASUS BIOS flashback worked but no powerup sequence.
Has happened to loads of folk . Early adopter woes. This platform was released too early because AMD gave mobo manufacturers 2 weeks to prepare for their hard launch. Bios 0902 fixes issue and I was about to flash it when the board bricked itself, lol.
The NEXT DAY! only bios 0902 is available on the asus website.
Compounding the issue, the server on asus website fucked up and the 0902 bios would not show up if you selected Windows 10 x64 while it would if you selected another OS.
Talk about a perfect storm of unfortunate timing.
Sods law,sucks.
But replacement board coming tomoz. CCL even payed return postage from France just had to drop it off at a local shop that DPD use for pickups.
:)
Only loss is the stupidly expensive Kryonaut thermal grizzly heatsink compound.
Memory support is still shit but AMD say they will have RAM data for mobo manufacturers in May. (Or was it April you fool.)
Lots of bios flashes to come.
Excited all over again!

Out here on the perimeter..........

Untill you can no longer hold a glass without spilling. This is the quaffing hysteresis point where the beer intake is reduced to match the alcohol handling capacity of the imbibing entity.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2017 21:27 
(>Nutter<)

Im am out of touch with hardware, but building a new rig can be: a bitch, a complete bitch, or a bitch from deepest hell. I think you have the latter Boomz. :(

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2017 23:31 
Crunchy Nut

yeah boom, when making pcs and you press the button only to be greeted with that silence...pretty gutwrenching...
but when it finally works its like hehe im the cleverest roboticist

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017 03:36 
Crunchy Nut

Maybe not the silence, but the Beeep Beeep Beeep Beeep Beeep Beeep Beeep ...

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017 10:54 
(>Nutter<)

My case has no speaker. But the mobo had Q codes before it "committed soduko"
Its become a bit of a meme.
How do you get images to show up in the forum posts instead of just the links?

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017 18:11 
(>Nutter<)

Use the URL button

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017 03:56 
(>Nutter<)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxyot ... nJFZ0xjQW8

Just an update. With this motherboard and being on the overclockers forum a lot I am having a brilliant time.
There are Asus engineers around who release bios for us to play with before they are available on the Asus site. And can explain exactly what all those mysterious bios settings are for.
Last night Elmor released something called ZenStates which allows you to change multipliers and volts for different P states on the fly while inside windows. P states are power/ performance states.
This means you can have a 2,200 Mhz 0.9 volt pstate (or less if you want) when the computer is not busy. A middle state for light loads and a fuck off crazy 1.4+v 4+GHz on all 8 cores P state for when you are pushing it to the max.
This is all done automatically and allows for a crazy overclock when required but drops down to quiet and cool for normal tasks.
Normally overclocks are just fast hot and loud at all times. So its really flexible.

Also released last night was an experimental bios update which flashes the embedded controller on the mobo. The same EC that was killed in early bios revisions. The one that bricked my first board.
This is kind of like the bios for the bios, you cant go any deeper. Reason was for temporarily dropping the base clock to 90MHz from 100MHz just while booting to bios, that allows some crazy high ram frequency to "train" during powerup.
And with AMD about to release new AGESA code to the mobo manufacturers in May which should unlock higher frequency RAM straps above 3200MHZ it should be an interesting month.
My 3600 MHz Samsung Bdie DDR4 kit might make it to 4000MHZ , same speed as the CPU!

Suffice to say I am having a great experience with this build and being so intimately involved with things as the platform matures is very rewarding. Having Asus engineers on hand solving problems with us is an experience I have never enjoyed before.
While Ryzen may not be for the faint of heart it is certainly going places fast.

My Cinebench score tonight was 1733 which is quite Leet if you are a bit slydexic. When AMD unlocks faster RAM this month it should go up a lot. Its all quite technical and I have learned an awful lot about the architecture and its limits and ways to get round said limits.
But the best thing is it plays tf2.

Oh, I am moving to Toulouse next week. Thats quite exiting too! I think its pretty near where Mamba is?
Boom as a neighbour.
Mahahaahahaaaa
laawls.